Monday, March 30, 2009

Giving Back...


For the last 4 years I have had the wonderful privilege of not only getting to know some amazing women, but truly making a difference in the lives of some young men. Through my volunteer organization I have gotten to be a positive female role model to boys ages 12-18... I think there was even an 11 year old once. Can you imagine? Usually they are better off at the boys home, and they have traveled a long, hard road to get there, some have never had Christmas gifts! Or if they have a "parent" has sold it, traded it, broke it. I certainly don't know all the stories, nor do I want to.... what I do know is that my time has been well spent with a fabulous organization! I guess I am getting sentimental because tonight was my last night with "my" board...ha ha - now I'm being possessive! But I have come to adore these ladies... I will miss our time together... I'm not going anywhere - it will just be different! Roles are getting ready to change! I am so excited about that, the incoming leadership will energize this group!!

Among the ladies, one I have spent 3 of my four years in lodge with ... is 17 weeks pregnant with TRIPLETS! All boys! She will be blogging soon! ha ha

Mike just played a news segment for me ... good news - which we never hear enough about. By the end we both had wet eyes. (CHECK IT OUT) But this 10 year old boy and his little sister (Josh & Abby) are making care packages for the local homeless. All his idea... a water bottle, some snacks, then he, sister and some classmates deliver to the mission -- during the video the boy says "they aren't bad people, they just ended up in the wrong spot" The little sister said something like "it's not what you have, it's what you share" WOW. I bet their parents hearts are busting with pride. These are the kind of parents I want to spy on ... where's her blog - how are they raising such gracious kids? I hope our kids grasp the idea to give back.